Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Women

I am going to be completely honest. I have been racking my brain thinking about the next thing to write about. I think that this is a good a time as any to write about the fabulous women in my life who have impacted me above what I will be able to adequately express through words.

Let's start at the very beginning (a very good place to start).

  • My Mother. Obviously, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for this lady. The older I get, the more clearly I see that I am very similar to my mother. We have talked about this and I feel like we have communicated, quite effectively, what we consider the attractive and not so attractive parts of our personalities. How blessed I am to have a mother that loves me enough to be honest with me and work to help mold me, as well as herself, into the woman that we both long to be.
  • My Mother's Mother. Grammy most definitely had her flaws, but she was a fabulous woman of God. Other than teaching me all the little sayings that I love to use so much, she taught me to pray without ceasing. Anytime, anywhere, for any reason. Because of her, I have, what I think is an incredible, habit of praying to find a parking spaces, to find a book in the library, to make an A of a test, and everything else in my life. In moments of weakness, she told me to get on my knees and pray. And I do. God truly blessed me once again.
  • My Dad's Step-Mom. If I have one strong woman in my life, I have a million, but Grandma is most definitely in the running for number one. She married my Grandfather when my dad was 14 years old. My dad is the youngest of nine boys, and no one was thrilled with the fact that Papaw had remarried. She endured many years of rejection and not so wonderful treatment. She was the only Grandmother that I knew on my dad's side and of course, to us kids, she was just Grandma. To her, it was much more than that. To be loved and adored in a role that she wanted so badly to play meant everything to her. I was named for her and she treasured that gesture from my parents. She was ever cheerful, ever loving, and always gave of her time, talents, and wisdom.
  • My Dad's "Foster" Mother. Long story that I will tell later, but suffice it to say that Grandma Jo is my Grandmother and I love her dearly. She is classy, well-rounded, well traveled, and full of wisdom. Our conversations are always informative and fun. I absolutely adore her and I know that she has had great influence over my long term goals, as well as my career choices.
  • Ben's mother. Mama Lou was an intricate part of my life for over three years. She was there when she didn't have to be. She is one of the strongest women I know and I admire her very much.
  • Alison Ross. What a lady! Her faith is something that I aspire to have, her sweet spirit is precious, and her love and grace are beautiful to experience. I love and respect her as a friend, a mentor, and another mother.
  • Sally Vander Ghyenst. This lady is one of my dearest friends. If I grow into half the student, performer, business woman, and person that Sally VG (who is 10 days away from becoming Mrs. Brad Baker), I will be one heck of a lady.
I know there are more fantastic women in my life, but these are some of the ones that I felt compelled to write about at the moment. For those of you who read on a regular basis, I am sure you will be reading about more of the women in my life. I consider these women essential to who I am today.

No comments: