Saturday, August 16, 2008

TLC, PCB '08-Days 1 & 2

As I sit here in the condo watching “The Holiday” with two fabulous girls, thoughts from yesterday and today are rushing though my mind. More firsts this weekend and I l-o-v-e it.

Caroline, Liz, and I packed up and headed down to Panama City this weekend. The way I wrote it, it sounds like it happened quickly. However, that is not the case...at all. We started getting ready to leave at twelve thirty. We didn't leave until four. After lunch, the bank, pedicures, Target, Liz's apartment, my apartment, and a stop at a gas station, we got on the road. With the radio on and spirits high, we were on our way to the beach. We got to Dothan and this is where things got hairy. We made the turn that we were told to make and it was the wrong one. We didn't figure this out until we were thirty miles out of the way. So after a few phone calls to the right people, we were headed in the right direction again. We stopped at Moe's once we got back to Dothan and had a bite to eat. It was yummy to our hungry tummies. We made one more phone call just to make sure that we were REALLY going in the actual right direction and we were on our way. Again. I moved to the back seat to let Liz have the front and quickly got cozy. Once we reached the state line, however, we all jumped out and ran over the Georgia state line into Florida, squealing all the way. After a few pictures and lots of laughter, we got back in the car and were on our way once again. I got really cozy this time and I was out like a light bulb. I woke up once we reached Panama City and much squealing ensued.

The condo is just right for three girls. It's a one bedroom, but the bed is huge and the couch is just right for a couple of cozy nights at the beach. The kitchen is small, but good for beach cooking and the living room has plenty seating and a great media center. We watched movies both nights. The bathroom was perhaps the most satisfying and surprising part of the condo. With two sinks and a separate shower and toilet, there was plenty of room for all three girls to shower and get ready for our night out on the town on Saturday.

We woke up Saturday morning to overcast skies and rain. , I'm not going to lie, we were pretty bummed. I refused to get 100% negative though. I mean, we were at the beach. We grabbed some breakfast and popped in a movie and waited it out. By mid morning, the clouds began to thin and we were bounding down the stairs towards the water and beautiful white sand. We played and took pictures for a good hour before running and jumping in the pool to cool off. After a good cool down session, we decided to eat lunch before hitting the beach again. We finished our movie before we realized that the sun was out for real this time. We were more than thrilled, I can assure you. We laid on the beach for the rest of the afternoon with one or two trips to the pool for a nice cool down. Once Liz realized she was a bit burned, she headed back into the condo while Caroline and I stayed on the beach for a bit longer. I fell asleep, as did Caroline I think. Mmm. How sweet the sunshine and fresh sea air was.

We chose Pompano's for dinner and it was fabulous. Liz had the grilled chicken, Caroline had the crab soup, and I chose the sushi. So yummy. I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant. Classy, but relaxed, the interesting light fixtures, along with the the openness of the room provided an inviting and warm environment. Our waiter was friendly and humorous, which only added to our giggly moods. With our drinks constantly full and our food brought out in a quick and timely manner, we were impressed with the restaurant, no doubt. Thank you, Ms. Sheri, for the great suggestion.


Afterwards, it was out to find souvenirs and ice cream. Then back to the condo for another movie and the Olympics. As I sit here with the lights out, Liz and Caroline asleep, and the satisfaction of knowing that Michal Phelps has just won his eighth gold medal, I can hear the rain coming down on our balcony and the waves crashing against the shore. Liz was so right when she said that this trip was good for her heart. Girl time is so important. God has truly blessed me with some incredible friends and one just happens to be my sister (and Liz might as well be). Beach trips are special. There is something about the ocean and the sand and the food and the tee shirts, shorts, and flip flops that is freeing. Freeing for the mind, soul, and body.


My God is so great, so strong, and so mighty. There's nothing my God cannot do. The mountains are His, the rivers are His, the skies are His handy work too. My God is so great, so strong, and so mighty. There's nothing my God cannot do.”



No comments: