Tuesday, August 05, 2008

D.C. Induced Thoughts

My D.C. trip was one of the best things that I ever did for myself. I paid for the whole trip out of my own pocket, made all the plans on my own, and explored a rather large city by myself. I gave myself a small glimpse of life in the big city on my own. This trip proved more and more that I am ready to move away. I was perfectly content being on my own. I was so busy that there was little time for loneliness.

Although I do know that moving away will not be the same as a weekend trip to D.C., there is a sense of similarity. The fact that I was alone for the most part, seeing as my friends in D.C. all have jobs and knowing that, when I do move, it will take awhile to make friends. Also, I stink at directions. Giving and taking. And I spent this entire trip with no map. I was impressed with myself. Also, as much as I knew that my mom was only a phone call away, she wasn't a 20 twenty minute car ride away. I was never homesick on this trip and there was never a moment when I wished that I was back in Columbus, but there were a couple of moments when I wished that my mom was only a car ride away. It was also good for me to realize that I cannot escape or run away from memories or thoughts that seem to invade my mind at the most inopportune moments. No matter where I go or what I do, those memories have to fade on their own, in their own time.

Per Ansley's request, I am including some more thoughts from my written journal.

"Ah, the joys of flying. People watching is always top on my list of things to do no matter where I am...From the tall, awkward, potentially beautiful "librarian", to the man with the wondering eyes whose wife would most certainly cringe if she knew, to the extremely outgoing young man in the next row over, my people watching skills have sharpened and have been thoroughly indulged...I am especially fond of the guy with the sombrero and the lady with the tiara.

My flight was delayed and then canceled. I called my mom to let her know and she asked me if I was scared. I laughed and gave a resounding no. I felt secure knowing that over one hundred other people were in the same predicament. I was calm, cool, and collected. The more stressful situations I encounter, the more I realize that as long as you approach it calmly and act as if you know exactly what you are doing, no one will question your confidence. Apparently, my mother can either see right though me or senses things that aren't there. I think that in this situation, the latter is the more accurate statement.

This trip entailed many firsts for me. I traveled alone, I spent money with zero consultation, I spoke my mind with little fear of the repercussions...I am already looking forward to my next travel adventure. "


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...T...I thought we already decided about this whole "moving away..." silliness... :)

Theresa Garcia said...

hahaha.