Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire.

I would like to thank the movie making gods for coming up with something that we haven't seen in awhile. While the underdog theme of the movie is far from new, the setting, cinematography, and sub-plots were refreshing to this movie-goer's weary eyes.

While I am not sure that the slums of India are quite as colorful and bright as portrayed in this film, I still feel that directors Danny Boyle and Loveleen Tandan did a brilliant job of showing a life different that what we know here in the United States.

It has taken me awhile to think about this film and what I actually took away from it. The themes are somewhat obvious to me. Family (and what that word really means), true love, honesty, hope, loyalty, and there is an almost "Robin Hood" theme going on. The idea of stealing to survive. It smudges the lines of right and wrong, black and white, and gives the idea of gray areas something to stand on.



I really loved this film, although there were moments towards the end where I felt that the movie could have ended several times. I, personally, do not enjoy that feeling when watching a movie.

Perhaps it is me being uneducated in regards to India, but I felt that this film showed me a side of that country that I had not thought of or even realized that it existed. I feel good about suggesting this film to older audiences. I would not suggest taking the youngers.

No comments: