Thursday, January 01, 2009

Goodby Old Year! Hello New Year!

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!


I hate new year resolutions. I think that they set us (or maybe just me) up for failure. You decide that you are going to run every day and eat only healthy foods. Or you decide that you are going to read this ridiculously long list of books, dust every Friday, go vegetarian, fill up the gas tank when it hits the halfway mark, give yourself a clothing budget, and keep your laundry under control. Yeah, right. Like any of that is going to happen. Let's face it, you get to the end of the year and you see that you have not even half way completed the list or you have forgotten exactly what it was that you resolved to resolve.

I want this year to go a little differently. I know, I know. I am about to go against everything that I just said. However, instead of setting absolute goals for myself, I am noting things in myself that I would like to work on. No set mark to reach. I just want to see some progress in myself.

  • Jesus. He is already my number one priority. However, I want to be within understanding distance of Him. I want to live more like the new creation He provided me with. I want to stand in awe every morning and fight with a passion to stay on a spiritual high.
  • Details. I am not a very detail oriented person. I see the big picture and it's hard for me to focus on the how, so much as the goal. I would like to become better at the details.
  • Fitness. I know, talk about stereo-typical. But, seriously. I love to run and take spin class. I really do. I just need to get motivated. This time last year I was a gym junkie. I would like to get back in the groove.
That's it really. I am not saying that is all I need to work on in me. However, one step at time AND I want to be able to reach January 1st, 2010 and be able to see the progress I have made in the past year.

Here's to 2008 and everything that it embodied and here is to 2009 and the graciousness I pray God will give to each and everyone of us.

1 comment:

rg said...

Theresa, these are awesome goals. and it's a good idea to not put a cap on it... just to look back and say, "yes, I've progrogressed."

with that said, I commend you for your first goal. It makes me happy to hear anyone say stuff like that.

Kinda makes me sad I missed your annual visit to the Garvin house. :|

So that means that sometime in the near to semi near future, you must attempt to make your way to savannah. perhaps the garcia fam can take a vaca to the good ol Sav... (I don't know why I slipped into abbreviation mode.)

:)

take care Theresa, and know this: God will for sure grant you your first request (Matt 5:6)..

as for your others... well.. that's between you and God! But I feel you'll progress!

Bless ya gurlie! haha. sorry. I"m out now. :P