Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Day "Off"

Yesterday was supposed to be my day off. And technically, it was. I didn't have to be at the theatre all day, which was nice, but I did get up and run a 5k, campaign for my Uncle Terry, go to my sister's birthday party, and babysit three of the sweetest boys that I know.

The 5k was held by the Historic Preservation Society. It was downtown and the course provided a lovely view of one of oldest parts of Columbus. I ran the race in about thirty minutes, which I am pretty OK with. I shaved five minutes off of my last 5k time.

Campaigning was next on the list and I teamed up with Andy and Doug for that. We covered a pretty good piece of ground for it just being the three of us.

Afterwards, I headed out to Mom and Dad's for Katie's birthday party. She turned ten yesterday. Her big birthday present was that she got to go to dinner with Caroline and Eathan and then the Taylor Swift concert. She didn't give us quite the reaction that we thought we were going to get, but Ben was kind enough to act out what he thought she should have done.

Mom, Caroline, and I headed up to Upatoi United Methodist Church to get BBQ plates from the fall festival they were having. We got to visit with old friends and neighbors. It was a nice time. Afterwards, Mom took Mary Lou to get her drivers license. Scary, right?

A nap was in order after all the festivities and then off to babysit the Alford boys, William, Henry, and Andrew. This was the most hilarious part of my day. We watched "Frosty the Snowman" twice, "The return of Frosty the Snowman", "Boz, the green bear", and "Scooby Doo." William made a HUGE pallet on the floor and we all snuggled up to watch T.V.. Popcorn, graham crackers, and water were the snacks of the night.

Baths were an adventure, as was bedtime. I am going to confess a lot here in the next paragraph or so. Parents who were thinking about asking me to babysit, please do not let this deter you from asking me. Kids love me. Seriously. So, I got confused as to where everyone was supposed to sleep. William tried to tell me and I thought that he was trying to trick me (since I did that to a babysitter once). I had to apologize to him when I realized that he was right.

William and Andrew went to sleep almost immediately. Henry, on the other hand, did not. He kept getting up and "sneaking" out. I finally went back and laid down with him. After about twenty minutes with no success, I asked him if he wanted some ice cream. Of course, his answer was yes and I told him to sneak down the hallway. I really just did this for my own amusement. He would tiptoe down the hallway with his hands up in the air like he was about to pounce on something. Hilarious. We got into the kitchen, got settled, and started eating our ice cream. All of the sudden, Henry looked at me, grinned, and said "We are going to be in big trouble." I about died laughing.

We finished up and went back to bed, where Henry proceeded to pretend to sleep and snore. Again, bouts of giggles filled his room. We both ended up falling asleep. I confessed everything to Brian and Stephenie and we all had a good laugh. I can't wait to babysit the boys again.

Overall, a great day. I just need a nap now.

No comments: