Monday, November 03, 2008

My Way

Ever heard the song "My Way"? It was popularized by Frank Sinatra in the 50's, although it was a French song originally and the French version has little to do with the English translation. But, I digress. The song is about a man who is dying and is looking back over his life. He says that he has lived a full life and each moment, planned and unplanned, has been precious and crucial to who he is. He talks about regrets and tough moments and how through it all, he did it his way. An interesting song. Not one that I am fond of. I don't like the melody. However, it helps me in making a point.

This plan that I have talked about in several posts, is just that. A plan. It is not set in stone. It is not something that I am married to, so to speak. It is merely a guideline for where I think I would like to go. It helps me to stay on a track of some sort. How does this connect to "My Way"? My plan has nothing to do with anyone or anything other than me. Sounds selfish, I know. But hear me out. What I mean is that this plan, solid or not, is based on ideas, hopes, and dreams that belong to me. The profession that I choose, the city that I choose to do it in, and the way that I plan to go about it, are all ideas and choices that I have made and come up with on my own. Yes, there are outside influences. There always are. But, the plan is based on what I feel is right for me. I'm doing it "My Way", if you will.

Again, how does this relate to the song "My Way"? Read the lyrics.

And now, the end is near; And so I face the final curtain. My friend, Ill say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain. I've lived a life thats full. I've traveled each and every highway; And more, much more than this, I did it my way. Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do And saw it through without exemption. I planned each charted course; Each careful step along the byway, But more, much more than this, I did it my way. Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew When I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up and spit it out. I faced it all and I stood tall; And did it my way. I've loved, I've laughed and cried. I've had my fill; my share of losing. And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing. To think I did all that; And may I say - not in a shy way, No, oh no not me, I did it my way. For what is a man, what has he got? If not himself, then he has naught. To say the things he truly feels; And not the words of one who kneels. The record shows I took the blows - And did it my way!

That's one way of looking at the kind of life I want to live. I want to live a life that is full. I want to have traveled as many roads as possible. I want to laugh and cry, gain a little, lose a little. I want to live well. The plan involves living well doing a variety of things, in a variety of places. We'll see what happens.

No comments: