Wednesday, November 05, 2008

11.04.08

I wish that I knew exactly where to start. Tuesday was a day full of new experiences, good and bad, and a day that I won't forget for a very long time.

I arrived at the precinct that I was assigned to for our local election campaigning around 7am. I was only there for about 20 minutes when woman rolled down her window and yelled out some nasty remarks. Great way to start the day. I was there until about 9am, leaving only to get my cup of election day coffee that Anthony got me from Starbucks and meet my mom at the next precinct on our list. After standing on the corner of Macon Road and Auburn Avenue for over an hour, I was off to grab a bite to eat and take a power nap. With both of those things accomplished, I was back on the streets waving, smiling, and counting down the hours until it would all be over. This is where it became somewhat exciting for me personally. A poll worker came out and asked me to leave because she said that I could not campaign in front of the precinct. The law states that I must be 150 yards away from the door at which the polling is taking place. I was well over 150 yards away. I stated the law to the poll worker and remarked that I would be more than ok if she wanted to call downtown to have someone come measure and/or explain the law. She did not take this very well. She made a phone call while I stood there waiting. She talked in a hushed whisper, with her back to me. When she hung up, she turned around with a smug look on her face. She told me that that law stated that I needed to be 150 yards from the wall of the building. I corrected her once again, remarking that even if that were the case, I was well over the required number of yards away from the building. I stated once more that I would be happy for someone to come and measure, but that I would not leave. She got pretty huffy at that point and said that she had asked me to leave and if I couldn't do that..."Then what?" I asked. "I am far enough away and this obviously is not about how far away I am. You don't want me to campaign. " She walked off at this point. I was there for another hour and she never came back out. I was half expecting the police to come and try to arrest me. However, I did not need anyone to come and post bail for me.

I deserved a hot shower after my long day on the campaign trail. That and I don't think that anyone wanted to smell me. I rushed home to shower and change before the little shin-dig that we put together for my Uncle Terry. We all met at the hotel and waited anxiously for the local news coverage that never happened. I swear, there is zero point for the severely under-talented newscasters of Columbus, Georgia to break into ABC and MSNBC's professional coverage to tell us who is winning the National Election. Please. Local news happened once and then the numbers stayed the same for the next three hours. There will be letters to the editor about this one. After hours of knowing nothing, we packed up and headed home. Later, I found the number to the elections office and called every half hour to get the latest numbers. I know that poor lady was tired of hearing my voice, but dag-nabit, I was mad. We lost. Big time. However, 22% of the vote for a first timer is not bad. Plus, it was a three person contest and the vote was split by Steve Miller. I am not entirely disappointed with the outcome.

After watching the outcome of the election with friends and eating at Denny's, it was time to call it a night. I laid awake for awhile thinking about the impact that this elction would have on our nation and the world as a whole. Our President-Elect, Barack Obama remarked that "We are, and always will be, the United States of America" and that " In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people." Regardless of party affiliation, we are the United States of America. We are a nation that has disagreed on many an issue and after 232 years we are still here, still a democratic nation, and still operate using the same documents that our founding fathers left us with. I was listening to Rush Limbaugh this afternoon and he said that this is not the time to abandon what you believe. This is not the time to stop fighting for what you think is right. This is the time to pull together and make it work. If you didn't vote for Barack Obama, this is not the time to throw your hands up in the air and ignore the issues for the next four years. It is a time to pay attention, be involved, and work together with your neighbors to make sure that President-Elect Obama has a presidency that is successful for the American people.

It was an interesting and historic night for our nation. I am celebrating the historic nature of the night and thankful that we live in a nation where all men are created equal and that the people have a voice. Last night proved that we really do live in a nation of democracy. The people voted and they got what they voted for. That is something to celebrate regardless of party affiliation.

No comments: