Friday, June 26, 2009

Conversations with Eve

I am going to take a moment to clarify some things before I move on to what this post is actually about.
  • Work Crew vs. Summer Staff- Work crew are high schoolers who spend a month working on various properties. Summer Staff are college students who do the same thing. Work Crew works a whole lot harder than Summer Staff. Camp could not run without them.
  • Each of the above have a male and female coordinators.
  • My job is in the office and it entails a lot of answering the phone, giving kids band-aids, talking on the radio, giving weather updates, writing letters, updating the blog, etc...

Ok. Now that all of that stuff is out of the way, I can write about what I really wanted to write about.

Eve is our female summer coordinator and she is awesome. She has lots of wise words to offer and I really enjoy spending time with her. Last night, we were talking about the difference between our world here at Windy Gap and our world at home. We aren't living in the real world here. I mean, we all know that Michael Jackson is dead (except, I am convinced he isn't dead and he's just hanging out with Elvis on some island recording a new duet album) and that Ed Mcmann and Farrah Fawcett both died this week. Oh, and we know about Jon and Kate getting a divorce. But that is about our extent of the real world here at Windy Gap. Our world is filled with praise and worship, bible reading, consistent Christian fellowship, and prayer. Our world here is filled with the things that we all wish our lives at home were filled with. We all wish that we were as consistent with quiet times at home like we are here. We all wish that God was less than a thought away at home like He is here. We all wish that our prayer lives were as alive at home as they are here. But that just isn't the way it is.

Mine and Eve's conversation was really centered around relationships and the fact that there is so much possibility for "purple" (pink and blue combined...girl and guy stuff) to happen here. I mean, you are surrounded by people, of the opposite sex, who all have the same passion as you. They all love Jesus and they all want to share that with high school kids. It really doesn't get much better than that. If that's what you are into. But, Eve made a fantastic point. You don't want your relationship to start here at camp, because it's not real. I'm not my true self here. I am who I really want to be, not the T who lives in Columbus, GA. And they aren't their real selves either. That's a huge part of why dating while at camp is off limits. Of course, there is the say that goes like this: "Go to club, find a hub!" Or, "Go to Young Life, find your wife!". And it's so true. Lots of matches and happy marriages come out of Young Life and summer staff assignments...they just all happen after you have finished your assignment.

These are just some of Eve's wise words. I am sure I will have a lot more. We are going through the book of John and she is a fantastic teacher. I'll write about that later.

No more updates until Monday. I am headed home tomorrow for a whirlwind trip to sing in Jessica M.'s wedding and then head back to WG on Sunday!!! Pray for me!

No comments: