Monday, June 16, 2008

That Girl

How do you experience me? This question is one that my pastor encourages the congregation to ask of those closest to them.

I've started thinking about how I experience me. Inasmuch as I would love to be the girl that has the patience of a saint, never says a hateful word towards others, goes to the gym EVERY SINGLE DAY, eats healthy all the time, never sounds arrogant, isn't a hypocrite, has time to read five different newspapers, has read all the important classics, runs a 6 minute mile consistently, has a written portfolio that far exceeds her peers, sells her photography for outrageous prices, is a friend at all times, works hard, still dates her high school sweetheart, never complains, is always positive, is a neat freak (or at least neat), can cook like your mother, plays tennis like a pro, keeps up her golf game, and pays all of her bills on time, I'm just not that girl.

I have little patience, although it is getting much better. I can be very hateful towards others(Caroline, don't attest to this). I go to the gym most days, but there are some days when I just can't do it. I try to eat healthy all the time, but I love fatty foods. I am arrogant at times and being a hypocrite comes naturally. I read The Times when I have time (pun intended) and I skim the Ledger Enquirer. I don't have time to read as much as I would like and when I do, I usually do an easy read or I like to re-read a favorite. (Pride and Prejudice, anyone? Seven times, people. Seriously.) I run about an 8 minute mile. My written portfolio is poor at best. My photography doesn't sell...yet. I stink as a friend a lot of the time. I goof off at work when I should be productive. I'm not very good at dating. I do complain. I'm not always positive. I am far from a neat freak and my roommate would say I am far from neat. Period. I am not a great cook and it's definitely not like your mother's. I stink at tennis and my golf game is just OK. Who am I kidding? I stink at that too. My bills get paid on time, except for that one time when I forgot.

So, that's me. I admit it openly and honestly. Do I try my best? Most of the time, but not always. Am I working on me? Yes! Always.

No comments: