Tuesday, July 07, 2009

What do you know about Jesus?

This is a different week at camp. We have a lot of inner-city kids from Dallas here and we also have a group of special needs kids this week. I am going to write about the inner-city campers later, but I want to focus on Capernaum kids first.

Summer Staff has the incredible opportunity to serve the special need leaders by watching their campers while they are in leader meetings. This just means hanging out and playing games, talking and just being a friend.

Yesterday, as I was going through the mail, I saw that one camper, Paul Walker, had a TON of mail. Turns out, Paul Walker is one of our Capernaum campers. I got to hang out with Paul last night and help him open his mail. He can read and write and he loved his letters. I was especially touched by a card his mom sent telling him to be a good listener so that he could learn more about Jesus. I asked Paul what he knew about Jesus and his answer was this: "He's alive! He's alive! Hallelujah! He's alive!"

Wow. I'm going to go ahead and tell you what I am sure you already know. I cried. To see Jesus in Paul's face and realize that his parents want him to know Jesus was very powerful. The joy in Paul is evident and it comes out in the smallest things. From writing out song lyrics, to hearing others sing, to his sherriff's badge and handcuffs, Paul loves life. He is a happy individual. He is made in God's image and loves him in the ways that he knows how to love.

I am so excited about the rest of the week and keeping an open eye to the work that God is doing here at camp. Please pray for us as we seek to minister to these campers!

No comments: