Saturday, July 18, 2009

Remember that night you DIDN'T wake me up?

Imagine this scenario with me. It's a beautiful night. It's been a great day. The campers have been told about their sin problem and then given the solution of our sweet Saviour, Jesus. Camp was completely blacked out (except for the silly Adult guests who got in their car and turned their headlights on about five times), summer staff and work crew sang on the hill, summer staff was rewarded for their speediness in setting up the county fair with treats from the Sippy, and bible study happened for the last time as a big group. Are you still tracking?

We walk back up to Cedar (the summer staff cabin) and Andy has moved one of our love seats onto our porch. I sit down with him and we are talking with Kylie, Daniel, and Gus. People come and go throughout the conversation. Andy leaves. I lay down with the blanket that was on the arm rest. Jacob and Matt join me. We start to talk and my eyelids start to grow heavy. I drift in and out of sleep, not wanting to go to bed because I might miss something. (Those who know me understand that this has been a lifelong problem for me).

The last thing that I remember is Jacob still sitting in the chair next to me. The next thing I remember is waking up to Drew and Ellie Holcomb singing "The Vally" at FIVE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING. Yes, folks, I slept on the porch, outside, all night long. Don't get me wrong. I was very comfortable. That love seat is just the right size for me and I had a blanket. That, added on to the fact that I can sleep anywhere, insured a decent night's sleep.

At breakfast, I had four or five different people ask me if I MEANT to sleep outside. Uh...no. I did not. Did you MEAN to NOT wake me up and tell me to go to bed? "Oh, it just seemed like something you would do?" What the heck does that even mean?

At any rate, my throat is a bit scratchy and there is the possibility that I could have been attacked by raccoons, skunks, bears, or badgers. I'm just sayin'...

No comments: