Thursday, February 05, 2009

Three Hundred and Two

That, my friends, is the amount of money that I lost in the past twelve hours. Let me start at the beginning.

Yesterday afternoon, I went and cashed a check for three hundred and two dollars and some odd change. I didn't really mean to cash it, but I was on the phone at the time and I didn't have a deposit slip and I wasn't thinking and I was in the drive-thru and the bank teller cashed it and I got the envelope and I put it in my purse and I thought "OK. Whatever, I'm paying my rent tomorrow morning."

The rest of the details are not really important. I have searched and searched and searched. I have looked in every bag, cleaned out my car, look under the couch, my bed, and every table and chair that I own. I have looked in my bathroom and through all of my laundry. I cannot find this money. I have made phone calls and prayed without ceasing since I realized that it was gone. And still, nothing.

There are several thoughts in my head right now.

  1. I am about to go to Sharptop and Satan is working to prevent me from thinking about the weekend and focusing on the weekend. Well, I'm on to you, buster.
  2. I ended up asking my parents for the money. I have not asked my parents for money in over two years. Occasionally, they have given me money just because they wanted too, but I have never asked for it and that was a source of pride for me. Calling my mom and telling her about losing my money was one of the hardest things I have ever done. My parents offer to give me the amount that I lost and my actually taking it was even harder.
Irresponsibility is not really my thing. Asking my parents for money is not really my thing either. Perhaps God is using this to further break me down and humble me. Whatever the case is, I am sure that He will be glorified through this. His promise is clear; "All things work for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8) He is taking away my pride and that can only be a good thing.

"I will bless the Lord at all times. His praise shall continually be in my mouth." Psalm 34:1

No comments: