Sunday, September 20, 2009

BFFS (Best Friends Forever Sometimes)

After about five and a half hours on the road today, I am home from spending the weekend at Windy Gap. I thought my heart was going to stop working from going so fast as I drove up Coles Cove Road on Friday night. I was thrilled to back "home."

My reason for going up was to train to wrangle for weekend camps. I worked with the horses and spent all day Saturday outside; riding, mucking stalls, brushing horses, and learning the ropes of the barn. It was fabulous.

It always amazes me how quickly you become friends (or enemies) with folks that you are literally living on top of, even just for the weekend. I felt that way this summer after just a few days at Windy Gap doing summer staff. I felt that way again this weekend as I met folks who were also training. I met some great folks this weekend and had some great adventures.

Friday night was spent catching up with friends from Summer Staff. It was good to see "old" friends. Saturday was spent in the barn and Saturday night was spent exploring downtown Asheville with my new friends, Hannah and Doonie. We had dinner at camp, but ventured out on the town afterwards. We heard all sorts of music, varying from Regge, blues, jazz, and an old-timey Russian vibe. Pretty cool. We stopped at a local Cuban restaurant for some chips, dip, and RC Cola and then drove back to camp. What a night! Lots of laughter, good music, and yummy food.

Overall, it wasn't easy leaving this morning in the pouring rain to drive back to Columbus, but it's comforting to know that I will be back sooner, rather than later.

No comments: