Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Don't mess with Texas.

I was talking to my sweet grandmother, Joanne, on Mother's Day and we were catching up on life's little details. Grandma Jo is a true Texas woman. She is one smart lady and I value her opinions a great deal. She is almost always positive and chooses to find the silver lining in most circumstances.

We talked about school, work, our family, and boys. We talked about books and politics, manners and today's society. We talked about writing and photography. I want to share some of the words of wisdom that she gave to me.

  • Travel. As much as you possibly can, Travel. Jo has been all over our beautiful world has stories galore to share. She can tell you about Italy, France, England and a lot more.
  • Read. Read a lot. Read the classics. Read biographies and novels. Read for pleasure and read to learn. Read to be a better writer. (The last one was specific to me.)
  • Keep a journal. Write out the day's details. Write out your emotions. Your communication skills will flourish and grow. Not only that, but you will have something to share with your children one day. (Jo also said that when I become famous and die, my biographers will need to be able to write about me. I am so tempted to write a scandalous life story in a few journals and leave it in plain sight when I die. However, now that I have given away my secret, I don't think that will work.)
  • Show compassion for others. You don't know their background or what their day was like.
  • Have respect. Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Boys aren't worth half the trouble they cause. (That's probably the best one)
  • Love to the fullest. Don't hold back. Life is too short to not tell or show the people you love the most just how much you care.
  • Be smart. Being nice doesn't mean letting yourself be walked on. Use the brains God gave you and take care of yourself.
  • Live simply. There is more to life than nice clothes, cars, money, and a fancy house. Use the money for lesson number one. :)

Again, one heck of a lady. I hope I am half the woman she is.

No comments: