Thursday, May 29, 2008

"I sing because I'm happy..."

This hymn is a favorite of mine. It has been dubbed as "traditional", but was actually written by Civilla D. Martin and Charles E. Gabriel in 1905, according to Wikipedia which is, by the way, a horrible place to go to for information. For me, this song embodies the way we, as Christians should go through life. Singing, happy, and joyful, knowing full well that worry should be the furthest thing from our minds because we serve a God whose "eye is on the sparrow." If His eye is on the sparrow, does He not look out for those created in His image?

Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come? Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home? When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free. For His eye is on the sparrow. And I know He watches me.
"Let not your heart be troubled," His tender word I hear. And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears. Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise. When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies, I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows fall? Why should my heart be troubled, When all but hope is gone? When Jesus is my fortress. My constant friend is He. His eye is on the Sparrow, and I know He watches me. His eye is on the Sparrow, and I know He watches me!

No comments: