Thursday, October 30, 2008

Voting

As I geared myself up to vote this morning, my thoughts were, and still are, full of the significance that goes with voting.

Being a woman, it is kind of a big deal to be able to vote. Women had to protest, go on strike, and burn bras. Come on, folks. Bras are expensive. Seriously though, a lot has gone into providing me the right to vote and I do not take that lightly. Going back even further than womens suffrage, men and women died to afford you and I, not only the right to vote, but to live in a country with a democracy and a voting system. No matter what party you are affiliated with, no one can argue that we have it pretty darn good to live in a country where the people have a voice and the right to elect their leaders.

It doesn't matter who you vote for as long as you get out and vote. Yes, it is a right, but it is also a privilege, honor, and duty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree with most of this...but it TOTALLY matters who you vote for. making that decision shouldn't be taken lightly either.