Friday, April 24, 2009

A letter to my Dad

Dear Daddy,

Thank you for being there last weekend when I ran my 5k. Not an unusual thing for me to do, but for some reason I wanted you there and you were. And that means the world to me.

Thank you for being a provider. Thank you for knowing how to fix anything and everything and for figuring out how to fix it if you just happen to not know how. Thank you for being good at math. Thank you for letting me drive your car while you have mine fixed. Thank you for all the lunches and chit-chats about nothing in particular. Thank you for being excited when I tell you how far I ran today. Thank you for understanding when I needed to move out and when I needed to find a new church. Thank you for being committed to preaching Christ's name in our home. Thank you for getting us together on Sunday afternoons for bible studies, cereal dinners, and movies. Thank you for praying the same prayer every morning because when I don't know what to pray I pray the words I have heard you say over and over again. Thank you for teaching me how to sing. Thank you for teaching four measures to a dozen or so hymns.

Thank you for being consistent. Thank you for being my dad. Thank you for giving me your name. Thank you for sharing your faith, your home state, your love of tacos, baseball, boxing, running, and tradition. You aren't perfect and heaven knows we don't always agree, but I love you so much and I am so glad that I am a Garcia.

Love,
Deedah

No comments: